Monday, May 28, 2012

So Thankful For My Freedom. . .

Our Freedom wasn't free.

How true that statement is.

Today is Memorial Day, and as I reflect on the many things in this life I have taken advantage of, my freedom is definitely one of them.  As I've gotten older, days like this have taken on a whole new meaning.  Country - Flag - Freedom - Blood Shed - Lives Lost - Loved Ones Sacrificed - Time Spent Away from Family - Fighting - Protecting - Serving.

And why did men and women do this?  Yes, sometimes in the news we hear about  terrible stories of service men and women who don't take their jobs seriously, but do we stop and listen to the countless other stories of our troops who EVERY SINGLE DAY put their lives on the line to protect us?

Today at the Memorial Service at Palmyra's Rosewood Cemetery, there was the traditional "Twenty-One gun salute and playing of the Taps".  Every single time I hear the taps played (especially live and by our very special local taps player) I get choked up.  This simple song has such a deep meaning.  Such a simple tune, but such a powerful message.

Recently I found the "words" to the taps, and this song took on a whole new meaning for me:

Verse 1:
Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the lakes,
From the hills,
From the sky,
All is well,
Safely rest,
God is nigh.
Verse 2:
Fading light,
Dims the sight,
And a star,
Gems the sky,
Gleaming bright,
From afar,
Drawing nigh,
Falls the night.
Verse 3:
Thanks and praise,
For our days,
Neath the sun,
Neath the stars,
Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.

And here is today's moving tribute:



I encourage you to click the link and watch/listen to the beautiful honor given to the men and women who gave their lives.  (and my dad is the second gunman from the left!)

AND. . . 
on a side note!  I had a doctors appointment this past Wednesday, but with so much going on I haven't had a chance to update anyone on the twins' progress!  : ) 

Everything looks great so far!  They are so big now my nurse can't get them together in the same picture except the top of their heads!


Baby B is laying face down, as if to keep talking to it's twin...


Baby A is face up - I'm sure they chatter away in there!


This past week at my appointment we saw for the first time their stomachs and bladders working.  It is truly amazing to watch their progress every two weeks!

Love and Peace to All!

3 comments:

  1. So very true that our freedom was not free. Thank you to your dad and son for their service. I can not believe how big the twins are. I am so very happy for you and still praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your little chatterboxes are too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the pictures of your lil twins... they are beautiful, amazing and growing!!!!!! Thank you for sharing your family like this with all of us~ It's such a gift~ Love & hugs, Khristina

    ReplyDelete